Here is the fly pattern sheet for the BWO Mayfly Cripple.
Daiichi 1100 or 1180 #16 – 22
8/0 olive dun
Zelon – mayfly brown
Superfine dubbing – gray/olive
EP Trigger Point Fibers – light or medium dun
Light or medium dun
- Attach thread to hook behind hook eye and wind backwards about halfway.
- Tie in Zelon and hold upwards and on top of hook while continuing to wrap thread just past hook bend.
- Add dubbing to thread and wind forward until 2/3 point.
- Tie in wing material, allowing materials to extend over hook eye. Wrap tightly as materials are slick. Cut rear section and leave small tuft.
- Tie in hackle. Place 3 wraps behind wing and lift wing material up and place 2 wraps in front. Tie off hackle and cut excess.
- Whip finish.
- Trim tail 2/3 body length.
- To trim wing, pull wing back and trim at end of body.
- Trim hackle bottom even with hook point to allow low profile in water.
Learn more about Blue Wing Olives in my post – Blue Wing Olives.