Here is the fly pattern sheet for the Improved Chaos Hopper.
Dai Riki 280 #10 – 14
UTC Ultra 140 or 70 brown
2 mm foam – tan color
Tan zelon or antron
Yellow square foam
2 mm foam – yellow
- Attach thread and position at 50% mark on hook shank.
- Cut foam into 2” long length. Width is gap of hook.
- Trim foam strip to taper – about ½ length of hook.
- Build thread base on front ½ of hook. Build layer with three thread passes.
- Foam body should be length of shank. Measure foam starting at “tail” end and place hole in foam using bodkin.
- Remove hook and slide foam onto hook.
- Tie in foam at 50% mark with 3 – 4 thread wraps.
- Pull foam up and create indentation with hook eye. Use bodkin to make hole.
- Tie in zelon and fold back tag end over wing to create double fullness.
- Place superglue or Zap-a Gap on foam.
- Bring foam over hook eye using hole created in step 8 and tie down with 2 – 3 thread wraps. Trim foam.
- Create wide thread base.
- Prepare legs with overhand knot.
- Tie in legs parallel to body.
- Attach foam post.
- Whip finish.
Note: I use a Beavertail-style medium cutter to make a rounded tail. You can certainly do the same with scissors.