Here is the fly pattern sheet for the Matts Fur nymph.
Dai Riki 710, #6 – 12
.020 lead wire
Mallard dyed wood duck
Oval gold tinsel
50-50 mixture of otter & cream seal
Same as tail
Same as body
Left over tips of wingcase pulled back along sides & bottom of the fly. Legs should not extend beyond the point of hook.
- Wrap 7 – 10 wraps of lead on the hook.
- Begin thread on hook and cover lead.
- Move thread to hook barb and tie in 5 – 7 fibers for tail.
- Attach ribbing at barb.
- Begin dubbing body, creating tapered body, about 2/3 of hook.
- Wind rib material forward using 5 wraps.
- Attach thorax.
- Dub a thick thorax.
- Pull wingcase forward and spread over top of thorax. Use remaining fibers as “hackle” legs, pulling them back along side of body. Length should be no longer than hook point.
- Whip finish.
For more information about the Matts Fur, check out my Throw Back Thursday post for Matts Fur.