This is the fly pattern sheet for Sheweys Spawning Purple.
Alec Jackson hook
Alec Jackson, size 1.5 – 5
Fluorescent flame orange single-strand floss (Flat Waxed Nylon)
4 or 5 “spikes” of purple marabou
Jungle cock (optional)
- Use the Flat Waxed Nylon as tying thread, attach it behind the eye and wind it to the hook point and back to the mid-point of the shank. Be sure to keep a smooth body.
- Attach a small bunch of purple marabou and wind “thread” forward.
- Continue adding 4 more bunches of purple marabou, evenly spaced working toward the hook eye. Be sure to leave room for the remaining materials and head.
- Tie in purple hackle by the tip and make 3 – 4 turns.
- OPTIONAL – attach a jungle cock feather on each side of fly.
- Tie in guinea feather by the tip and wrap a few turns.
- Create a small head and whip finish.
Note: If using a black hook, add the silver tag. Omit the tag if using a nickel or gold hook. I prefer the gold hook.
Personal tying notes:
- Danville 210 denier flat waxed thread – fluorescent orange – Hareline #DFWT129
- Guinea dyed orange – Hareline #SGF271