Here is the fly pattern sheet for the Flashback Pheasant Tail nymph.
Daiichi 1530, TMC 3769, Mustad 3906, #14 – 18
8/0 Uni Rust or brown
Pearlescent flash tinsel – small (size 14)
- Begin thread on hook and tie in 3 – 5 Pheasant tail fibers for tail.
- Tie in copper wire at barb.
- Tie in pearlescent tinsel for flashback at hook barb.
- Tie in 5 – 7 Pheasant tail fibers for body.
- Create slight taper with thread and end about 1/3 back from hook eye.
- Wrap Pheasant tail forward to 1/3 mark. DO NOT TRIM.
- Pull pearlescent tinsel forward over body and tie off.
- Counter wrap copper wire forward using about 5 wraps and trim.
- Pull back remaining Pheasant tail from body and place a few thread wraps to hold back. This will be the wing case.
- Select 5 Pheasant tail fibers and tie in for thorax. Wrap towards eye and back towards body and back to eye, creating thick thorax.
- Pull Pheasant tail fibers forward over thorax and tie down with a couple of thread wraps. Ensure Pheasant tail fibers form a wide wing case by pulling butt ends sideways. Secure with a few more thread wraps.
- Whip finish.
Optional: Feel free to add lead under the thorax for a weighted version.
See the Pheasant Tail Nymph fly pattern for a similar fly and a chart to match hook with proper lead size.