Here is the fly pattern sheet for Taks Crystal Chironomid.
Alec Jackson Chironomid, size 10 – 14
UTC 70 denier, black
Clear 0.5 Stretch Magic or Midge Tubing for smaller flies
Blue holographic flashabou
Red holographic 1/64 flashabou
Glamour Madeira or antron
- Wrap the thread onto the hook behind the eye and wrap to about the 3/4 mark or at least 3 eye-lengths behind eye.
- Tie in the tubing and wrap backwards with touching turns to mid-bend.
- Reverse the tubing, wrapping over previous wraps with touching turns ending at tie-in point.
- Build a smooth head/thorax with the tying thread.
- Tie on 3 pieces of blue holographic flashabou on top as this will become the top casing.
- Tie on a piece of red holographic flashabou on each side.
- Pull the top casing flashabou forward and tie off behind the eye.
- Pull each side flashabou forward and tie off behind eye.
- Tie in gill material with figure-8 wraps.
- Whip finish.
- Use a bodkin to distribute the UV resin evenly and set with the UV light.
For a different version, be sure to see the MT Crystal Chironomid.