Here is the fly pattern sheet for Silvey’s Caddis Pupa.
And an olive version
|Daiichi 1130, Dai Riki 135 or TMC 2487, size 14 – 16|
Brown or olive 8/0
Pearl core braid – tan or olive
Tan or olive grizzly marabou
Rust brown/olive Superfine dubbing
Partridge or hen hackle
Tie the Silvey’s Caddis Pupa in black and root beer colors as well.
- Place bead on hook.
- Start thread behind bead and wrap 8 – 10 wraps. Do not go beyond hook point.
- Prepare Pearl Core Braid with lighter to create tapered end. Roll in fingers when it begins to melt.
- Place Pearl Core Braid on hook with tapered end for tail. Tie in over previous thread wraps to prevent rolling. Optional: Zap-a-dap keeps it from rolling.
- Tie on marabou behind bead. This will be for body and legs. Slightly twist and wrap about 3 turns to use length where remaining material is tied off on bottom to become legs. Tear off longer strands if needed – do not cut.
- Create wing pads with Starling. Tie one feather on each side. Feather is tied on side of hook angling downward.
- Create head with Superfine rust brown dubbing.
- Tie antennae on top. Tie on two fibers and split. Length will be to end of body.
- Another wrap or two of dubbing may be needed.
micro core braid or regular
Thanks for your question. I use a product from Hareline Dubbin called Pearl Core Braid in olive or tan. The olive color code from Hareline is PCB263.