Here is the fly pattern sheet for Swisher’s PMX Royal. (PMX are initials for Parachute Madam X.)
Danville 6/0, black
Red UNI single strand floss
Deer hair or elk hair
Natural medium barred rubber legs
Grizzly or brown
- Begin thread on hook and tie in post at 1/3 mark. Leave post over hook eye. Use post tag to create tapered body by winding thread towards hook point. Return thread to post area.
- Select and clean elk. Tie in behind post and wrap back to barb, easing pressure closer to prevent flaring.
- Tie in peacock fibers, 3 or 4 strands for smaller flies; 5 or 6 strands for larger flies
- Wind thread forward to thorax, whip finish and trim. Attach single strand floss and wind back to tie off point for butt.
- Take several turns of peacock to create a full butt section.
- Tie off with floss, but don’t trim.
- Wind floss forward with touching turns while peacock is on bottom of fly. Once at wing area, wind floss back to butt and return to wing area.
- Re-attach black thread and tie off floss. Trim floss.
- Select and clean elk or deer hair for wing. Stack and measure so wing extends to end of tail.
- Pre trim elk so minimal butts remain to minimize bulk. Take 2 soft wraps and pull thread upward to keep hair on top of fly.
- Tie in legs on each side of fly.
- Tie in hackle on post with feather extending up.
- Wind peacock for a full thorax and tie off behind hook eye.
- Return thread to point behind post and let hang.
- Wind hackle down post. Use thread to secure hackle around post.
- Whip finish around post and trim thread.