Here is the fly pattern sheet for the Langtry Special.
TMC 5212 or Mustad 94831 #6 – 8
Tan poly yarn
Orange poly dubbing
- Crimp the hook barb, put the hook into your vise, start the thread behind the eye and lay down a thread base on the shank to just the bend of the hook. Tail should be a little longer than hook gap. Tie in elk tail with 2 loose wraps, then 6 – 8 wraps as you move towards eye. Spiral forward to ½ way point on the shank. Secure hair and cut off excess.
- Select hackle 1 – 2 sizes smaller than normal. Tie in hackle. With shiny side facing forward.
- Tie in poly yarn and position thread at 1/3 position behind eye. Wrap poly yarn forward and tie off.
- Wind hackle forward with 5 – 6 even turns and tie off. Trim hackle.
- Select, clean and stack a bundle of elk hair. Wing should extend to about the end of tail. Keep hair on top of hook and tie in with two soft wraps. Bind down tightly letting it flair slightly as you tie in. Wrap tightly over butts to secure wing, allowing the butts to flair as well. Trim butts and bind down remaining butts.
- Select a hackle feather one size larger than abdomen hackle. Tie in dull side up at wing base.
- Tie in poly yarn for thorax. Wrap yarn forward and tie off, trim excess.
- Wind hackle through thorax, dull side forward 4 – 5 turns. Tie off and whip finish.
For more information about the Langtry Special, be sure to check out my Throw Back Thursday Fly about the Langtry Special.