Here is the fly pattern sheet for the WD-40.
Daiichi 1130 or TMC 2487, #16 – 24
Wood Duck or Mallard flank dyed Wood Duck
Muskrat or gray dubbing
Wood Duck or Mallard dyed Wood Duck
- Begin thread at 50 percent mark and secure with a few wraps.
- Select some Wood Duck fibers for tail and continue thread around hook bend. Tail should be approximately length of body.
- Create slight taper with thread for body, ending at the 40 percent mark. Be sure to leave sufficient room for the thorax.
- Tie in wingcase fibers by tips.
- Create thick thorax with dubbing.
- Pull wingcase forward over thorax and tie off.
- Whip finish.
Optional: Use butt ends of tail material for wingcase if you choose enough fibers for tail. Otherwise, trim butt ends of tail and tie in wingcase materials separately.
For a little more history of the fly, check out the Throw Back Thursday Flies post about the WD 40.