Here is the fly pattern sheet for the Pheasant Tail Soft Hackle.
Daiichi 1550, #12 – 16 or Alec Jackson North Country, #11 – 13
5 – 8 pheasant tail fibers
Copper wire – brassie size
Pheasant tail fibers
- Begin thread on hook behind hook eye and wind thread back to point above bard.
- Select 5 – 8 pheasant tail fibers and tie in directly above hook barb. Length should be about body length. Do not trim butt ends.
- Tie in copper rib at same point. Move thread forward to two eye lengths behind hook eye, binding copper wire tag end.
- Wind pheasant tail fibers forward to two eye lengths behind hook eye, tie off, and trim fibers.
- Counter-wrap rib forward with 5 wraps and tie off. Trim wire.
- Tie in 1 to 3 peacock herl fibers and take 3 or 4 wraps forward, leaving 2 eye lengths for wing.
- Select Hungarian Partridge feather and strip off fluffy material. Hold tip and carefully pull fibers backwards to expose a small tie-in point. Attach to hook with a few thread wraps and wrap forward with a couple of wraps. Tie off and trim hackle.
- Whip finish and trim thread.