Here is the fly pattern sheet for the IOBO Humpy (IOBO stands for It Oughta Be Outlawed).
Daiichi 1182, TMC 100 #12 – 26
8/0 to match body color
Body, Shellback & Wing:
- Begin thread on hook behind eye and cover shank with thread, ending at barb.
- Select two CDC feathers, matching tips and curve.
- With tips extending past bend of hook and curving downward, place a couple of thread wraps to secure CDC feathers. The feathers should extend 1 1/2 times hook shank. Add a couple more thread wraps to tighten and fold feathers forward to measure. Adjustments can be made at this point. Lift butt ends slightly and place 2 thread wraps directly in front of original tie in point. This will help secure feather. DO NOT TRIM.
- Take several open wraps forward over butt ends to create body and end a couple of eye lengths behind eye.
- With thread 2 eye lengths behind eye, fold CDC feathers forward and secure with 3 – 4 wraps. A few CDC strands may form a tail, which is fine.
- Pull wing up and place several thread wraps between feathers and eye to stand wing upright.
- Whip finish and trim thread.
Here is a link to Sunrayflyfish for a step-by-step with pictures – click HERE. It’s the technique I prefer to tie the fly.
Here’s how I tie the fly as seen on my RiverKeeper Flies YouTube channel:
An Internet search will identify the TMC 102y hook for this fly. However, any dry fly hook will work.