Here is the fly pattern sheet for the Film Critic Green Drake.
Daiichi 1120 or Dai Riki 135, size 12 – 8
Danville olive 70 denier
Mayfly brown Zelon and Wood Duck fibers
Brown embroidery thread/UTC wire copper medium
EP Fibers – black
Dun tied para-loop style (hackle stacker or pull-over). Leave a tag end at the rear
- Begin thread on hook about the 1/3 mark.
- Tie in shuck material and continue wrapping thread around hook bend.
- Tie in Wood Duck fibers and separate fibers.
- Tie in rib materials, then dub body.
- Wrap brown embroidery thread forward and follow with wire rib. Tie off and trim.
- Tie in post material beginning at 1/3 mark and continue wrapping forward, leaving about 2 hook eye lengths.
- Position thread back to 1/3 mark or hook point and tie in hackle. Wrap hackle up post material and back down to create thick cord of hackle. Tie off hackle at bottom of post. Post can be pulled forward to gauge if enough hackle is wrapped.
- Dub thorax area and pull post material with hackle around it forward towards hook eye. Leave enough room to tie off post and wrap several turns of thread in front to create wing.
My observation is to select one size larger hook for the size of fly you are trying to imitate. For example, to tie a size 10 fly, select size 8 hook.