Here is the fly pattern sheet for the Wood Duck Damsel Nymph.
Daiichi 1270, TMC 200 or similar, size 8 – 12
Uni 8/0 Olive
Fine marabou fibers
Fine gold wire
Dyed olive partridge
Lemon wood duck
Plastic eyes or monofilament melted
- Begin thread on hook and wrap backwards to hook point and secure a sparse tuft of marabou.
- Tie in wire at same point.
- Bring thread forward to 2/3 point and tie in long bunch of marabou by butts.
- Counter-wrap fibers towards tail, ending at hook point. Secure with wire and continue wrapping forward to 2/3 point. Trim wire and marabou.
- Tie in Wood Duck at 2/3 point.
- Prepare partridge hackle and tie in by tip, with feather curving upward.
- Tie in marabou and wind forward to form thorax. Tie off and trim.
- Pull partridge hackle forward to form legs. Tie off and trim.
- Pull Wood Duck forward to form wingcase. Tie off at eye and trim.
- Whip finish.
Personal tying notes:
- Montana Fly Strung Marabou Blood Quill – Light Olive
- Premium Hungarian Partridge Feathers – Olive (Hareline #PHP 263)
- Use UV resin over Wood Duck for durability – Solarez thin