Here is the fly pattern sheet for Cate’s Turkey.
Daiichi 1560 #14 – 16
Small gold wire
Several dark mottled turkey quill fibers from tail
- Begin thread on hook and position as hook barb.
- Tie in sparse tail of wood duck fibers.
- Tie in wire rib at hook barb.
- Tie in a section of turkey tip first. Position thread 2 eye lengths behind hook eye.
- Wrap turkey forward and tie off.
- Tie in 1 or 2 pieces of peacock herl and take 2 to 3 turns. Tie off.
- Counter-wrap gold wire rib forward through body and thorax. Tie off and trim wire.
- Select a few wood duck fibers for the beard hackle and tie on under the head with a soft wrap to keep in place. Hackle should not extend beyond hook point. Trim excess.
- Whip finish.
Note: Mallard flank fibers dyed wood duck color may be substituted for the tail and beard hackle.