Here is the fly pattern sheet for the Pheasant Tail – Seitz Variant. This is a fly Bill uses successfully on the Crooked River, OR.
Standard # 16 – 18 nymph hook
Gold – 2.3 mm for #16; 2.0 for #18
Dark brown 8/0 Ultra
Black Krystal Flash
Small gold wire
Superfine dubbing Mahogany brown
Peacock black Krystal Flash
Fluorescent orange 8/0 Ultra thread
- Debarb hook and slide on bead.
- Attach thread behind eye and tie in 2 pieces of Krystal Flash, leaving about a 1″ tag. Fold tag over to create 4 pieces and wrap thread to hook barb with touching wraps. By holding material at a 45 degree angle, it will keep material on top of hook. Trim tail equal to body length.
- Attach 3″ piece of wire rib on side of body away from tyer.
- Create a slim, tapered body with dubbing, ending at 2/3 mark.
- Bring rib material forward with 3 – 4 turns.
- Create thorax with Ice Dub.
- Whip finish using 2 or 3 turn tie off.
- Attach fluorescent orange thread and create collar. Whip finish and trim thread.
- Omit fluorescent orange thread and use black bead.
- Use Glo-Brite floss for tail with 4 strands for short tag.