Here is the fly pattern sheet for Lance Egan’s Red Dart.
Hanak H 400 BL, MFS 7204, Fulling Mill FM50 45 Jig Hook, #14
UTC 70 denier – red
Slotted tungsten bead – gold – 7/64″ (2.8 mm or 3.3 mm)
Lead wire – .015
Soft hackle feathers, red – 15 to 20 fibers
Ice Dub – Peacock
Monofilament – 6X
Sulky Metallic Tinsel – opalescent (8040)
Hen Cape – Greenwell, brown, or furnace
Ice Dub – UV Shrimp Pink
UTC Flashback Tinsel – black – large (optional)
- Slide slotted bead onto hook and place 8 to 10 wraps of lead immediately behind bead.
- Begin thread next to lead and create “thread ramp” taper between lead and hook.
- Tie in red hackle tail about half the body length.
- Tie in mono rib.
- Tie in Sulky rib.
- Dub body and wrap forward almost to bead.
- Counter-wrap Sulky rib forward to bead.
- Wrap mono rib the normal direction forward to bead.
- Tie in hackle by tip and force fibers backwards while wrapping two turns and tie off.
- A couple of turns of pink Ice Dub
For a brief history of the fly, see the Throw Back Thursday Fly post.