Here is the fly pattern sheet for the EP Sardina.
An original sample fly I used is at the top.
Gamakatsu SL 12S #2/0
Mono or white
EP Fibers – Polar Bear or Pearl White
EP Fibers 3D – Tarpon Streamer
- Begin thread at eye and create base (of white thread) and end at hook point.
- Cover thread with head cement.
- Start with section on top of hook, tie in middle of hank. Make a couple wraps rearward and then 4 wraps forward.
- Take an equal amount of white and place on bottom, splitting fibers in either side of hook. Use 4 – 5 wraps and wrap towards hook point.
- Fold back top and bottom fibers. Bind down 3 – 4 wraps of thread winding forward.
- Take equal about of fibers and tie on top with 4 wraps of thread with touching turns going forward.
- Tie on white fibers on bottom with 4 – 5 wraps to bump of previous materials.
- Fold top and bottom pieces and tie down with 4 – 5 wraps.
- Apply head cement.
- Now start the body of fly. Use less materials
- For top section, wrap around hook from bottom and hold equal amount of materials tightly on top while wrapping thread backwards with 3 turns.
- Do same for bottom.
- Repeat top and bottom again.
- Now begin head.
- Use shorter fibers for head sections, 2 1/2 – 3 inches long.
- Apply on top of hook, with thread towards point with 2 or 3 wraps.
- Apply white on bottom of hook, wrapping forward with 2 or 3 wraps.
- Tie in another on top.
- Pull top and bottom back and secure.
- Create small head and whip finish. Trim thread.
- Apply head cement around head and along side.
- Remove fly and comb out materials and trim fly.
- Replace in vice to attach eyes.
- Place eye on glue on bodkin.
- Slide eye from bodkin onto fly.
Three sections to fly – Tail section, body section, head section
2 and 2, top and bottom down fly
When trimming, the hook should barely show from belly fibers.
Other Hook Options:
- Gamakatsu SL12S (Hareline code – GSL 12X) 1X Short Big Game Wide Gap Hook NS Black
- Gamakatsu SC15 (Hareline code – GSC15) Wide Gap Hook Tin
- Gamakatsu SC152H (Hareline code – GSC152H) 2X Strong Wide Gap Hook Tin
- Apply thread base.
- Begin with white fibers. Wrap around thread and secure on top of hook almost above barb.
- Wrap top fibers at hook point using same technique on top of hook, wrapping thread backwards over fibers.
- Move thread forward.
- Tie in second section.
- Tie in on top of hook
- Tie red silky fibers on bottom. Trim fibers right behind bend of hook.
- Tie in white fibers on bottom.
- Begin third segment.
- Tie in fibers on top of hook.
- Tie in white fibers on bottom, but position fibers on each side of hook. Repeat.
- Tie in segment on top and position along sides with backward thread wraps.
The following video creates a wider, bulkier head which I believe might “push” more water to create a better profile…just a guess.