Here is the fly pattern sheet for the Chernobyl Ant.
Image below shows optional body.
Black & Red version
Daiichi 1720 (3XL), 1280 (2XL) or TMC 5212 (2XL), #8 – 4
6/0 or 140 denier black, tan, or brown
Tan 2 mm foam topped with black 2 mm foam
Black round rubber
Bright colored foam
Optional: Wrap a body of brown hackle and trim short before pulling foam over body.
- Start thread on hook and wind backwards to barb and back to hook point. This will create a base to secure foam and prevent slipping.
- Prepare foam by cutting a strip equal to gape of hook and trim butt end to a point. Ensure foam is long enough to extend past hook eye.
- Tie in foam with several firm thread wraps.
- Tie on legs on each side of the foam to form rear legs.
- Tie in back foam indicator.
- Pull foam and legs back and tie in hackle. Move thread forward to a point two eye lengths back from eye.
- Wrap thread forward with tight wraps. Trim hackle short on all sides.
- Pull foam forward over body and tie down with several firm thread wraps.
- Tie in another set of legs. For larger flies, use double legs.
- Pull foam back and whip finish behind hook eye.
- Trim legs so each set is about length of body.
- Trim foam head so it extends just beyond hook eye.
- Add a drop of Zap-a-Gap to secure foam where thread binds foam to hook for additional security.