Materials used for Pale Morning Dun Mayfly Cripple:
A female Pale Morning Dun
Daiichi 1310, Dai Riki 305 #14 – 16 or any dry fly hook
8/0 yellow, light cahill
Zelon – mayfly brown
Superfine dubbing – yellowish olive or march brown
EP Trigger Point Fibers – light or medium dun
Light or medium dun
- Attach thread to hook behind hook eye and wind backwards about halfway.
- Tie in Zelon and hold upwards and on top of hook while continuing to wrap thread to hook barb.
- Add dubbing to thread and wind forward until 2/3 point.
- Tie in wing material, allowing materials to extend over hook eye. Wrap tightly as materials are slick. Cut rear section and leave small tuft.
- Tie in hackle. Place 3 wraps behind wing and lift wing material up and place 2 wraps in front. Tie off hackle and cut excess.
- Whip finish.
- Trim tail 2/3 body length.
- To trim wing, pull wing back and trim at end of body.
- Trim hackle bottom even with hook point to allow low profile in water.
For more information about PMDs and their life-cycle, check out my blog – Pale Morning Duns – PMDs.