Here is the fly pattern sheet for the Green Drake CDC Loop Wing Emerger
Daiichi 1280, #10 – 14
8/0 to match body color
Wood Duck or Mallard dyed Wood Duck and Zelon over the top
Superfine Gray/Olive dubbing
- Begin thread on hook and continue to hook bend.
- Tie in tail with 3 to 4 thread wraps. Do not trim tail butt-ends.
- Tie in Zelon and use remaining material to create smooth underbody up to 60% mark.
- Tie in goose biot at hook barb with notch towards back and tie in tip.
- Position thread at thorax.
- Wrap biot forward. Option: Apply Zap-a-Gap before wrapping biot for extra strength.
- Secure biot with thread wraps.
- Select 2 – 3 CDC feathers and even tips. Tie in CDC with concave side up and feather over end of hook. Take one loose wrap around feather close to the butt. With thread still loose, pull feather backward allowing trapped barbs to be captured. Continue until only tip remains and secure with several thread wraps.
- Add dubbing to thread for thorax. Wrap dubbing to create thorax area. Leave one eye length clear to finish fly.
- Tie in throat hackle and trim.
- Fold CDC feathers forward over eye and push backwards to create loose wing. Tie off feather.
- Whip finish and trim thread.
Watch Shane Stalcup tie a CDC Loop Wing Emerger on my friend, John Sherry’s NetKnots Fly Tying Youtube channel.